Tuesday, October 13, 2020

New Terms - Old Problems

Your mere presence will have an influence
somehow - sometime - somewhere



Well - today I was asked to interact during an ONL seminar... :-)


HORROR!!



I couldn't do it - maybe something wrong with the software - it worked last session...

what is different today????

And Yes I´ve stolen the picture - don't know where 


The technical problems totally took my focus from the seminar - instead I focused on how to get my interaction to work...


HELP

- what did they say now? what should we do? 

I was outside in the dark - I became the - 

"UNINTENTIONAL VISITOR"

One by one the work of others showed up on the screen - after a while I understood what the task was - but still I couldn't interact

MAYBE AS WELL 

I started to question the task put forward... there where things missing - holes in the given definition

EH - as I saw it :-)


THE TASK as I understood it

was to look at my appearance in SOCIAL MEDIA - what applications did I use! how did I use them!

I should place my use of applications in a two dimensional diagram, the axis being 

PRIVATE-INSTITUTIONAL and VISITOR-RESIDENT

Looking at this made me think - what is Private? Is the definition of private changing over time or maybe different depending of the context given? The same with institutional - what is that? I started to think about me as an institutional teacher working at an university. My views are my views - hopefully professional views built upon facts or at least interpretations of facts - whatever facts are. Is it even possible to be INSTITUTIONAL?

Then I thought about being a visitor - I certainly felt like a visitor on todays interactive seminar - but everyone there could see that I attended - but I did not interact - which certainly sent a message to those who noticed my inaction - so even if I did not act some people may interpret that as an active  message from me...

In that way it is IMPOSSIBLE TO BE A VISITOR

So todays thinking embryo is:

Your mere presence will have an influence
somehow - sometime - somewhere



1 comment:

  1. I believe every form of categorization can be questioned, should be questioned. However, we need ways to interpret the world around us. As you say they may be well founded in facts, but most often not, at least not in researched facts. Life is producing facts all along, though, just by us being here. The emotional side of existence does not easily turn itself into measuring or testing, but rather into reflection and questioning. I guess you are right about non-action sendinng messages, it does however tend to create some interpretative dilemmas in regards of experienced impact. What we consider as non-actions, do usually reflect some sort of action. A car accident is only one stop in a continuous non-car accident scenario.
    Great thought bending blog post!
    /Lars

    ReplyDelete

Get some time to meet

 Get some time to meet and work together  I always hoped for more activity between our meetings - a place for the group to meet, discuss, pl...